Sustainable Luxury InitiativeOld Edwards Inn and Spa is committed to a vision of sustainability. Our Sustainable Luxury Initiative promises to continue the same standard of service with attention to detail to which our guests are accustomed while simultaneously decreasing our carbon footprint for the longevity and prosperity of the Highlands Plateau and the global community.
In 2009, Old Edwards Inn and Spa received the first ‘NC Green Travel Award' from the NCDEA, a governmental branch of the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources. With ongoing improvements, in 2016 the company's rating was raised to a "three-dogwood blossom" status with an additional "cardinal" - NC Green Travel's highest rating.
Previous and current efforts and practices include:
- Established a sustainable farm bringing organic and local food to their guests.
- Practice composting of food waste from the kitchen at Madison's Restaurant.
- Installed Icynene insulation reducing their energy bills by 50%.
- Replaced all T-12 bulbs with T-8 bulbs, an energy efficient alternative.
- Implemented an optional and well received towel and linen re-use program for guests.
- Conducted an Energy Assessment with the help of Waste Reduction Partners.
- Currently recycle glass, cardboard and office paper.
- Replaced plasma televisions with LED
- Have been evaluated by Western Carolina University's Natural Resource Conservation and Management Students for suggested further steps toward a sustainable future.