Forbes Travel Guide Names Old Edwards Inn and Spa To its “Hot Twenty” List for North America 2013
One-time high school coach and later Primerica insurance mogul Art Williams has poured treasure into woodsy, WASPy, golfy Highlands in western North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains. The centerpiece of his resort, condo and event venue empire is the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star Old Edwards Inn and Spa, a fine, cozy place to hole up in winter, with many working fireplaces and a free-flowing supply of sparkling wine upon arrival. Thanks to its perch atop a plateau, the resort sports stunning views. Book one of the luxurious new Falls Cottages—named for the many waterfalls in the area—opened in summer 2013. The nine stone cottages surround a double-sided freestanding fireplace and heated mineral pool and hot tub, all of which come in handy when winter rolls in. Across from the Falls Cottages sits Art’s at the Lodge, the resort’s newest restaurant (and a great place for an evening libation).
The Hot Twenty List will be Featured in the October 28th Print Edition of Forbes Magazine
About Old Edwards Inn and Spa (www.oldedwardsinn.com)
- 2013 Travel and Leisure’s #23 out of 50 Worlds Best Resorts
- 2013 Travel and Leisure's #2 Best Resorts in United States
- 2013 Condé Nast Traveler’s Gold List
- 2013 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards #14 Hotel in The United States
- 2013 US News & World Report #3 Hotel in North Carolina
- 2013 Travel and Leisure World’s Best Service List
- 2013 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for Madison’s Restaurant
- 2012 Southern Living South’s Coziest Inn
- 2012 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards #4 Hotel in The United States
- 2012 Travel and Leisure a Top 50 Resort
- 2012 Travel and Leisure #9 Most Romantic Hotel in The United States
- 2011 TripAdvisor Reader's Choice Award for #4 Best Relaxation Spa Hotel in the U.S.
- 2011 TripAdvisor Reader's Choice Award for #2 Best Hotel for Romance in the U.S.
- 2011 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for Madison’s Restaurant
- 2011 Condé Nast Traveler’s #3 Hotel Spa in the United States
- 2010 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Award (top ten in the US)
Old Edwards Inn and Spa cascades along several blocks in downtown Highlands—a cultural mountain village that offers world class dining, wine events, art galleries and some of the nation’s top golf communities. The European style resort features three spectacular outdoor heated mineral pools, world class spa, award-winning dining, and golf at the private Old Edwards Club. Guests are surrounded by the warmth and character of Old-Europe architecture and authentic period antiques. Many rooms, cottages and suites offer private patios or terraces—some with captivating rooftop views of Main Street and downtown Highlands. All of the luxury accommodations include champagne arrival, twice-daily housekeeping, and two 24-hour business centers. European bedding, fine Italian linens, plush robes & slippers, rainfall showers, heated-tile bathroom floors, in-room safes and Wi-Fi enhance the in-room experience. Old Edwards Inn and Spa also boasts a state-of-the art fitness center with wellness classes that include guided hikes into the scenic surrounding mountains known as “waterfall country.”
Guests enjoy onsite shopping at the Spa Boutique, Acorns Boutique or Acorns on Church featuring fine antiques and home accessories. Dining venues include Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden serving innovative New South Cuisine, the Spa Café, Arts at the Lodge Coffee Café and Bar and two Poolside Bar and Bistros. Special events and weddings take place at The Farm—a lushly landscaped Old Edwards property located one mile from downtown Highlands featuring The Barn, the Farmhouse, Bridal Pavilion, Bridal Bridge over a scenic pond and outdoor events pavilion. The Edwards Hall Conference Center provides a catered corporate retreat venue.
The Falls Cottages at Old Edwards opened in June. They feature the sumptuous comforts and fine details that characterize all Old Edwards accommodations; they offer the perfect ambiance of rustic elegance. The Falls Cottages surround an outdoor heated mineral pool and whirlpool with lush landscaping and a freestanding fireplace for cozy gatherings.