Additions, Enhancements and Acquisitions at Old Edwards Inn and Spa
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Amanda Sullivan, 828-200-0650
Additions, Enhancements and Acquisitions at Old Edwards Inn and Spa
(Highlands, N.C.) Old Edwards Inn and Spa is currently completing additions, enhancements and acquisitions to prepare for the growing number of visitors traveling to the four-star mountain resort. Among the most prominent of the additions is the new Falls Cottages area which will add 22 new guestrooms for stays beginning in July.
Old Edwards president Richard Delany says, “We are fortunate to have grown steadily over the past several years due to the increasing publicity and word of mouth about our resort as well as global industry awards and accolades that we have received since we began transforming the property to a world-class spa and golf resort in 2004. We now find ourselves in the position of increasing our room count and amenities in order to meet the growing demand. We are completing renovations and additions over the winter in order to debut the new offerings in spring and summer 2013.”
Some of the enhancements and additions that the resort is completing include:
Renovations at The Spa to expand treatment rooms and common areas.
- The third floor terrace is being enclosed to increase the number of indoor treatment rooms.
- The Fireside Lounge is being expanded by enclosing what previously comprised the patio. New walls of glass surrounding the patio will give guests the feeling of being outdoors while still enjoying the relaxing space on a year-round basis—and the glass walls will be retractable so guests can still enjoy an alfresco dining and relaxation experience during the spring, summer and fall.
- New Guestrooms. The twenty-two new luxury guestrooms that comprise the Falls Cottages area will be housed in nine cottages built by John Lupoli Construction in the mountain vernacular using native stone wood with warm copper accents. The cottages surround an additional heated mineral pool with hot tub and a double-sided outdoor fireplace. Many of the cottages can be rented in their entirety, providing accommodations for business retreats, girlfriend getaways, families, multigenerational vacations and weddings. Or each of the rooms can be booked separately for couples and individuals. Each of the Falls Cottages is named for one of the regional waterfalls that are abundant on the beautiful Highlands Plateau. The rooms are bookable now for stays beginning in July.
- New Porte Cochère and Restaurant Venue. The Lodge Lobby at Old Edwards, located across the street from the new Falls Cottages, will house the main registration area for guests staying at Falls Cottages or the Lodge Rooms.
- To help create a sense of arrival and connect the properties visually, The Lodge will sport a new Porte Cochère and covered walkway where guests will pull up to be greeted, have their car unloaded, and then escorted to the registration area in the lobby.
- Also greeting guests in the Lodge Lobby will be a new casual food and beverage venue that will serve as a social gathering spot for guests wanting to relax with friends or interact on their mobile devices. Guest can enjoy made-to-order coffee drinks, pastries and breakfast items in the mornings, and in the afternoons relax with beverages from the full cocktail bar. On the lower level of the new lodge lobby gathering spot is the Kelsey Game and theater room that opened in 2012. Old Edwards President Richard Delany says, “Our guests are always looking for different experiences to suit various moods or vacation needs. Whether they want to spend a rejuvenating day at the spa, play golf, relax at the pool, or come together in a social situation where they can have some coffee or cocktails and mingle with friends or fellow travelers, we are constantly listening to our guests to determine how we can shape the Old Edwards experience around their vision of the perfect mountain vacation.”
- New Guest Estates of Old Edwards. Extending the Old Edwards experience even further is the addition of two “Guest Estates of Old Edwards,” which can be booked for leisure and business groups, family gatherings and small weddings. Prior to 2013, the Piermont Cottage stood as the only guest estate of Old Edwards—a guest estate being a fully furnished luxury home complete with full kitchen and all privileges and amenities at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, including access to Old Edwards Club. Spring of 2013 will see the addition of Hutchinson House and Rockwood Lodge.
- The four-bedroom Hutchinson House was the third residence built in Highlands, NC. The graceful farmhouse was completely refurbished in 2002 to preserve the historical integrity while incorporating modern conveniences like an upscale kitchen, larger bedrooms and additional bathrooms. Nestled just off Main Street amid 3.65 lush acres of indigenous flora, like old-growth Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel, the Hutchinson property features wooded trails, ponds and streams, arbors, a croquet lawn and a pavilion with fireplace. Old Edwards will begin hosting special events at Hutchinson House and Rockwood Lodge this spring, including weddings and group retreats. It will also be available for girlfriend getaways and family gatherings, as is the case with Old Edwards existing cottages.
- The eight-bedroom Rockwood Lodge is located a few minutes from downtown Highlands on a spectacular expanse of mountain splendor. The home sits in a stunning setting atop one of the highest peaks in the area with 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains. Rockwood Lodge features several common areas – indoors and out, and the property meanders over 350 acres including trout lakes and numerous trails.
For more information on the additions and renovations at Old Edwards, stay tuned to www.oldedwardsinn.com, or call 866-526-8008. For group bookings at Falls Cottages, Guest Estates or any other areas of Old Edwards, contact Special Events at 828-787-2610.
About Old Edwards Inn and Spa (www.oldedwardsinn.com)
- 2013 Travel and Leisure World’s Best Hotels List
- 2013 Condé Nast Traveler’s Gold List
- 2013 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards #14 Hotel in The United States
- 2013 Us News & World Report #3 Hotel in North Carolina
- 2012 Southern Living South’s Coziest Inn
- 2012 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards #4 Hotel in The United States
- 2012 Travel and Leisure a Top 50 Resort
- 2012 Travel and Leisure #9 Most Romantic Hotel in The United States
- 2011 TripAdvisor Reader's Choice Award for #4 Best Relaxation Spa Hotel in the U.S.
- 2011 TripAdvisor Reader's Choice Award for #2 Best Hotel for Romance in the U.S.
- 2011 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for Madison’s Restaurant
- 2011 Condé Nast Traveler’s #3 Hotel Spa in the United States
- 2010 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Award (top ten in the US)
- 2010 Condé Nast Traveler’s #1 Hotel Spa in North America with the First Ever Perfect Score in the 20-Year History of the Reader’s Survey
- 2008 Condé Nast Johansen’s Most Excellent Inn in the US and Canada
- Forbes Four-Star Rated for both the Resort and The Spa
- AAA Four-Diamond Rated
- Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden has won the Wine Spectator “Award of Excellence” every year since 2005 and the “Best Of” award since 2008.
Old Edwards Inn and Spa cascades along several blocks in downtown Highlands—a cultural mountain village that offers award-winning dining, wine events, art galleries and some of the nation’s top golf resorts. The European style resort welcomes visitors to North Carolina’s high country with its unique blend of relaxed luxury recognized worldwide. A spectacular outdoor heated mineral pool, world class spa, award-winning dining, and golf at the private Old Edwards Club are signature experiences at this full-service mountain resort. Guests are surrounded by the warmth and character of Old-Europe architecture and authentic period antiques. Many rooms, cottages and suites offer private patios or terraces—some with captivating rooftop views of Main Street and downtown Highlands. All of the luxury accommodations include champagne arrival, twice-daily housekeeping, two 24-hour business centers and two 24-hour Butler’s pantries with Dove Bars, fresh fruit and soft beverages. European bedding, fine Italian linens, plush robes & slippers, rainfall showers, heated-tile bathroom floors, in-room safes and Wi-Fi enhance the in-room experience. Old Edwards Inn and Spa also boasts a state-of-the art fitness center with wellness classes that include guided hikes into the scenic surrounding mountains known as “waterfall country.”
Guests enjoy onsite shopping at the Spa Boutique, Acorns Boutique or Acorns on Church featuring fine antiques and home accessories. Dining venues include Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden serving innovative New South Cuisine, the Spa Café and the Poolside Bar and Bistro. Special events and weddings take place at The Farm—a lushly landscaped Old Edwards property located one mile from downtown Highlands featuring The Barn, the Farmhouse with luxury lodging, Bridal Pavilion, Bridal Bridge over a scenic pond and outdoor events pavilion. The Edwards Hall Conference Center provides a catered corporate retreat venue.
The Falls Cottages are the newest addition to Old Edwards and can now be booked for stays beginning in July 2013. Constructed of native wood and stone and featuring the sumptuous comforts and fine details that characterize all Old Edwards accommodations, they offer the perfect ambiance of rustic elegance. The Falls Cottages surround an outdoor heated mineral pool and whirlpool with lush landscaping and a freestanding fireplace for cozy gatherings. They are just steps away from the Lodge Lobby and Bar, the Kelsey Game Room, the Croquet Lawn, another outdoor heated mineral pool, whirlpool and poolside bar and cabana. The multi-bedroom cottages feature common living areas and can be opened up as full cottages, making them perfect for groups or family gatherings.